Monday, June 11, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey: erotica slash romcom

Thanks to 4shared which a colleague shared with me, I was able to read this novel. It's nothing sophisticated, just run-of-the-mill prose that any highschool senior can write on her diary. The words don't evoke, they tell. And it's not even vivid.
What I liked about the book - is the subject matter and the concept. It's erotica gone romcom. Which I believe is a good mix because if I were a film producer, I can make the film better than the book.
Let's see.


I am not even a bookworm, honestly I judge the book based on the prose. Because a book should evoke- I like internal talk, I like backstories, I like abstract ideas that cannot be translated visually - in this book I got nothing. I got no depth I got no internal battle. You read the prose and that's that.
That's why people always say they like the book better everytime there's a film adaptation -  because in the book they read between the lines.
Good points - I like the subject matter and making the POV that of the girl. I like the beast and damsel in distress dynamics.
I like that the book has got a film potential and I'd rather save my praises when I am not relying on my imagination. That being said, I believe that this book is nothing but a concept paper to what could be a grander book or film.

No comments:

Post a Comment