Monday, June 11, 2012

book review: Memories of My Melancholy Whores

The first thing I want to tackle is this book a friend gave me for my birthday. It's called Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
What I like about the book is the subject matter plus the very casual way it tells of a story of a man who is a sex addict, who pays for the service and whose life essence revolved around sex and paid women. Yes he has a job but what he looks forward after a day's work is to bed new and more women.
On his 90th birthday, he wants to bed a virgin but what was delivered to his doorstep was a 14 year old girl who works for a living, so young and so innocent. He cannot bring to himself to touch this girl.
What I like about books is that they touch me in unique ways and let me have a peek of what goes on in other people's lives. Who knew such vile man existed?
Who knew that instead of feeling anger towards this man, I am drawn and I am curious, I pity him so bad I wanted him to die. We all love tales of obsession and this one satiates even for a little while.




No comments:

Post a Comment